Railsbank offers an API-based financial system and growth platform for developers and product managers. Consequently, all functionality was tested via secure, firewall-managed REST APIs only.
Upon being onboarded, our team identified 300 regression test cases, which were tested using Postman for every new release. These releases occurred biweekly as a minimum, and included everything from complex enhancements to simple bug fixes.
The 300 test cases were developed in a structured, modular way to easily enable the input of a range of data items, so that the test suite could cope with new and evolving requirements over time.
The release process was as follows:
- Railsbank’s developers deploy the changes in the test environment
- Our team execute the complete regression pack in Postman, taking only 45 minutes to complete, with a range of data
- Once a positive result was received from our team, the developers deploy the same build to the staging environment
- Our testers re-test using Postman in the integrated environment, before sending the results back to the developers
- Once the build is approved, it goes live
In total, the entire release process was completed in just 4 hours.
We were responsible for:
- Reviewing the automation scripts for each test
This involved verifying the coverage of each test, comparing it with the test case, and determining the degree to which the user story would be satisfied.
- Proposing solutions to reduce test execution times
We wanted to make sure that we delivered on our promise of swift and effective test automation, so trialled different approaches to optimise the process.
- Integrating automated tests with CI / CD
To make the testing process as streamlined as possible, we strove to ensure full compatibility with developers’ existing workflows.
- Providing documentation on how to execute the automated tests
We are proud to offer a future-proof service to our clients. With Railsbank, we wanted to ensure that even after testing work had concluded, software quality could be maintained for years to come.
- Adding tags to each automated test
This final step ensured that, going forward, tests could be carried out on individual modules to ensure functionality, rather than engaging in a complete regression. With this done, we added tags enabling parallel automated test execution, to speed up the process.