Introduction to Testing
This is a one-day course aimed at introducing people to software testing. The material has been developed to be consistent with the syllabi of the International Software Testing Qualifications Board (ISTQB), so the course can be used either as preparation for the ISTQB Foundation course, or “stand-alone” for those not yet interested in gaining a formal qualification.
This course is not running at the moment
This course will allow you to gain a clear overview of the major considerations that underlie “good testing”. Get confident in the essentials you need in order to get started in an exciting and challenging career in software testing, or get up to date on current practises in line with the teachings of ISTQB and the British Computer Society.
Want to gain a certification? Read more about the ISTQB Foundation Certificate.
Introduction to Testing
£TBC per delegate
The course is run over 1 day and includes all course materials. Lunch and refreshments are provided for some onsite courses. Please check course details for further information.
Who should attend
- Those new to Software Testing
- Business and system analysts who prepare requirements specifications
- Users with no formal training or experience in testing
- Managers (project, development, business, I.T. etc.) who are likely to be involved in the management of testing
No exam for this course.
- To explain what “testing” means, and the reasons why it’s necessary
- To outline a generic process for testing software, and place it into the context of different types of software project
- To consider the economic advantages and practical applications of using testing to assure good quality, rather than merely measuring actual quality
- To understand management considerations in the conduct of testing activities
- To understand the basics of several common test techniques
- To know and understand many elements of the technical terminology of testing.
"I just wanted to say many, many thanks for all your help, advice and guidance you gave on the course".
Test Manager, Law Firm
Course Content & Agenda
The course is presented as six modules: Module 1: Fundamentals of testing Module 2: Testing throughout the lifecycle Module 3: Static techniques Module 4: Test design techniques Module 5: Test management Module 6: Tool support for testing
Why is testing necessary
What is testing
General testing principles
Fundamental test process
Psychology of testing
Software development modules
Test types: the targets of testing
Identifying test conditions and designing test cases
Categories of test design technique
Specification-based or black box techniques
Structure-based or white box techniques
Choosing test techniques
Test planning and estimation
Test progress monitoring and control
Risk and testing