Decreasing Costs, Increasing Complexity
The complexity of enterprise systems is constantly increasing. This is further complicated by integration with other internal, external, partner, and cloud systems.
Gone are the days when system testing could be isolated to individual applications. Functionality today typically transcends individual systems, drawing on data and computations across other systems. Properly extracting, cleansing, transforming, and validating your structured and unstructured data is critical to maintaining—and growing—your business.
As system and data complexity grow, there is constant pressure to decrease the costs and time involved in delivery. Developers and testers work more closely together through lean or agile practice, but are discovering that integration and data testing can be a significant bottleneck. It is vital to ensure that all interfaces function correctly before systems are implemented, especially when bespoke elements and customisations have been introduced.
Contact Prolifics to get more information about our testing services that can successfully make your IT systems effective and efficient.
Shifting Further Left with Service Virtualisation
The classic “shift left” approach to testing only begins when development delivers testable systems. To realize greater success, the integration testing process must be shifted into the development cycle.
Integration testing can utilise hardware virtualisation, which allows physical systems to be partitioned into several virtual ones. However, hardware virtualisation still requires additional time, resources, and overhead for:
- Operating system installation and configuration.
- Infrastructure license costs, configuration, and administration.
- Integration and management.
These components also typically involve their own pre-implementation test cycles. This can add to testing complexity and the total cost of maintenance.
With service virtualisation, software components are virtualised by simulating the service interface of the system under development. It emulates only the system behaviours that are needed for testing, slashing the cost of ownership and requiring far less development and administration. Testing can begin long before development on the system under test is complete—or even before it begins.
Service virtualisation provides numerous benefits to integration testing and development, including:
- Early identification and correction of defects and errors in interface protocols, data structures, and other inter-system communications.
- Early identification of potential architectural issues. These are typically the most expensive problems to correct once a system is mostly complete or in production; pinpointing them as early as possible in the process drastically reduces costs.
- Undertaking user acceptance testing (UAT) earlier in the development cycle can also save time and money by ensuring the system delivers on the business requirements. It is much easier to keep development aligned to requirements by enabling UAT throughout the development cycle, thereby avoiding potentially costly remediation for those missing or faulty features and functions if they are only identified once development is complete.
- Testing of system functionality without direct access to the production systems, ensuring that future changes, upgrades, and modifications can still be properly tested and vetted.
Prolifics Empowers Your Testing Process
Prolifics offers professional, on-demand integration and data testing services to test software, websites, and mobile apps for a wide range of clients in different industry sectors, from start-ups to blue chip multinationals. We work collaboratively with our customers in agile or waterfall methods, becoming an extension of project teams, aided by industry leading cloud-based technologies.
Our professional testing experts have hands-on, integration- and data-centric testing experience, having assisted companies of all sizes and levels of need. Our testing services are designed to encompass the entire application and data lifecycle, better aligning testing to your business objectives. This business-driven approach focuses on productivity, quality, and cost of ownership, providing a world-class result while saving on time and costs.
Our expertise includes:
- Business intelligence system testing
- Data warehouses and database testing
- ETL testing
- MDM testing
- Data integration platform testing
- Onsite, offsite, and offshore delivery models
We isolate individual solution components, allowing for the validation of each component under strict conditions. This reduces testing complexity and cost significantly by:
- Individually testing and validating each component.
- Identifying and isolating errors and defects quicker and easier.
- Performing testing without the need for all participating applications.
- Simulating participating applications if they are not yet available or are too costly to provision for testing purposes.
- Testing changes to individual applications faster and more effectively.
Our approach is methodical and risk-based, identifying all the interfaces and associated data needed to prove all possible transfers and transformations. Our planning process identifies tests that exercise true end-to-end processes. We blend our years of testing excellence with our data management, analytics, and virtualisation specialty expertise to provide the unique tools and know-how needed to effect positive testing change for a data and integration-heavy environment.