Current Automation Approaches Fall Short
Automating repetitive and time-consuming software tests, particularly regression tests, can offer huge advantages in today’s software projects—not only by reducing test execution time and cost, but also by improving the accuracy of tests and enabling them to be run more often.
Contact Prolifics to get more information about our testing services that can successfully make your IT systems effective and efficient.
But as organizations adopt test automation, many are finding that it may not provide the expected improvements or returns.
- The return on investment may be minimal.
- Automation may not keep pace with development.
- A high percentage of test cases can fail due to invalid data and changing environments.
- A greater number of functional defects are found in production.
- Scope coverage becomes smaller.
These problems usually occur because test automation itself only addresses regression testing. Other methods of testing within the quality assurance program are typically supported manual processes that are unable to keep pace with agile development lifecycles.
Beyond Regression: Expand the Role of Test Automation
Prolifics recognizes that test automation must cover a broader range of the development lifecycle. This starts with a “shift left” approach, with a review of the architectural and business requirements for the systems under test. By analyzing systems earlier in the development cycle, test case generation can occur earlier, potentially uncovering architectural flaws and identifying defects before they are even coded.
Next in the development lifecycle is the introduction of service virtualization. Test automation can still be used to test simulated versions of the system’s interfaces without the need for access to the system itself. Defects can be found in APIs, data processing, and elsewhere. Otherwise, these defects may go unnoticed by traditional testing methodologies until much later in the production process.
Prolifics generates the appropriate data and testing scripts, as well as automates the execution of the tests. As development continues, automation recognizes and adapts to development changes, generating new data and test cases as required. This can result in a dramatic decrease in testing time, and moves the testing forward in the overall development lifecycle, resulting in earlier delivery. Our approach includes:
- Automatic data creation.
- Execution of test automation.
- Validation of results, including back-end processing as well as front-end GUI.
As development processes and methodologies evolve and mature into DevOps and Continuous Integration, Prolifics’ test automation approach keeps pace with the rapid delivery these methodologies can provide.
Test automation forms a cornerstone for more advanced quality assurance programs, including Test Lifecycle Automation and Business Assurance. Prolifics’ testing tools provide comprehensive views into the entire quality assurance lifecycle and into the alignment of testing with business requirements. This helps ensure that the tests are not only successful, but that the right tests are being executed in the first place, resulting in production systems that have fewer defects, and higher degree and confidence in the systems by the business.
In addition to traditional test automation offerings, Prolifics offers additional services, including:
- Test automation tool evaluation. Our experts take into account the objective of automation, together with the technical architecture of the applications under test, and make recommendations based on industry experience and best practices.
- Automation outsourcing. Our complete managed service automation solution automates functionality in increments (on-site, remotely, or in a combination). Our blended onshore/offshore model can realize objectives within financial constraints while retaining communication channels, working hours, and strong collaboration with clients.